We provide free help and advice on applying for your visa and we are happy to check your documents and answer any questions.

View content

Most International students from non-European Union countries will require a Tier 4 student visa to study with us. Students who are visiting for a short course (exchange, short-term English Language) may be eligible to apply for a student visitor visa. Please see the information at the bottom of this page for more information or check with us first to establish which visa is the most appropriate for you.

To get in touch with any questions you may have on visa's then please contact us using the details at the bottom of the page.

The UK Visas and Immigration Service (UKVI) provides useful, up to date information and guidance on applying for your visa. Please visit the UK Visas and Immigration pages

Do I need a visa?

EU/EEA nationals

Currently, European Economic Area (European Union countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) nationals do not need a visa (entry clearance) to study in the UK.

We are proud to be a University with an international outlook and remain committed to supporting you during this time of uncertainty as Britain withdraws from the EU. Please click here to read the latest Brexit guidance.

American students

If you are coming to study in the UK for less than six months, you may enter as a Student Visitor. You can make this Student Visitor visa application on arrival at a UK airport by showing your acceptance letter, You will also have to provide evidence that you can support yourself financially for the duration of your time here. Please make it clear to the Immigration Officer that you are going to be studying in the UK, and check that either 'VST' for 'Visiting student' or 'STS' for 'Short-term Student' has been hand-written on your entry clearance stamp.

Student Visitor visa holders are prohibited from working for the duration of their time here, and their visas can neither be extended nor switched to other visa categories. If you are likely to want any of these opportunities, or are coming to study in the UK for more than six months, you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa before coming to the UK.

Please note that General Visitors are not permitted to study.

Non-EU/EEA nationals

All non-EU/EEA nationals do need a visa (entry clearance) to come to study in the UK if staying longer than six months. All non-EU/EEA national students MUST obtain entry clearance (a visa) before travelling to the UK. The type of visa you need may depend on the programme you are on. Students who are studying degree-level programmes will usually need a Tier 4 (General) student visa, unless they are on another visa category such as 'Dependent'. However, language students and students who do not meet the UK Visas and Immigration's minimum English language requirements for the degree level programme they wish to attend may have to apply for a Student Visitor visa for up to 11 months.

The Immigration Authorities will not let you enter the UK if you do not have entry clearance (a visa). It is essential to check the UKVI website for new information on entry clearance and visas before you travel to the UK.

For more information on applying for a visa it is also advisable to use the UKCISA website

Please contact the University’s International Recruitment Team if you have any questions.

Applying for your Tier 4 Visa

To apply for a Tier 4 visa you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) statement. The University can issue this to you once you have paid your deposit or shown us a letter of financial guarantee (e.g if you are being sponsored to study your course). You must also have an unconditional offer from us and have sent us all the documents we have asked for (passport etc).

When your offer is unconditional and you have paid your deposit we can issue you with a CAS Request Form. Once completed you should return this to us and providing we are happy with the information you have provided we can issue you with a CAS in an email format.

You can then apply for your visa through the UK Visas and Immigration website up to 3 months before the start of your programme. For advice on what information to provide and which documents to include in your application then please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website below. If you have any questions or are not sure which visa to apply for or what to include we will be happy to help you.

Apply for your Visa

Useful Links

There are a number of useful links below to help you with preparing for your visa application:

  • Supporting guide 
  • Tier 4 eligibility and requirements
  • When preparing bank statements to send off for your visa application (if applicable to you) then the UKVI have a list of banks that are acceptable. Find out more
  • The visa processing times vary in each country so please check the UK Visas and Immigration website for up to date timings. We recommend that you apply for your visa as soon as possible so that it can be secured in good time. Learn more

Whilst we try to ensure the accuracy of the information and advise given, the requirements relating to visas are complex and change frequently.

The University of Winchester cannot, therefore, accept responsibility for any inaccuracy or error in its information or advice.