Students seeking asylum
Sanctuary award - students seeking asylum
We are committed to creating opportunities for all to study at the University of Winchester, particularly those in difficult circumstances.
Our Sanctuary Award supports up to five students per year seeking sanctuary in the UK to undertake a course in higher education. We will cover your fees and also help with additional costs with a bursary of up to £3000 per year.
Our Sanctuary Award offers a full tuition fee waiver to five students per year who are:
- Seeking asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK, or a dependent or partner of someone seeking asylum
- A dependent or partner of someone who has been granted limited leave to remain or some other form of temporary status
Please note: Spouses/civil partners must have been the spouse/civil partner on the date which the asylum application was made. Children/step-children must have been aged under 18 on the date on which the asylum application was made.
In addition to the fee waiver we can help you cover the costs that come with studying (for example books, IT equipment or travel costs) up to a maximum of £3000 per year.
Applicants to the Sanctuary Award will need to:
- Have been offered a place (conditional or unconditional) on an undergraduate programme at the University of Winchester before applying for the Sanctuary Award.
- Be unable to access UK Government Student Finance (tuition fee loans or maintenance loans/grants) by virtue of their immigration status
- Be able to provide evidence that their asylum application is under consideration by the Home Office
Priority will be given to applicants who already live within easy commuting distance of the University of Winchester
The Sanctuary Award is payable in each standard academic year of the course. This is unless, as a result of an asylum application, you (or your parents or spouse/civil partner) are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK. If this happens, you must inform the University and the award will cease from the start of the next academic year, when you would be expected to apply for student finance instead.
How to apply?
If you wish to apply for the Sanctuary Award for 2021 entry:
Once you have received your offer of a place on a course at the University of Winchester, please revisit this web page to find updated guidance on how to apply, together with a link to the application form. The updated guidance and form will be published here before mid-December 2020.
Please note that BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy, BN (Hons) Nursing (all pathways) and BSc (Hons) Nutrition and Dietetics are excluded from the Sanctuary Award.
Please note, if you are considering applying for BSc (Hons) Professional Policing, the College of Policing have additional requirements that you are required to meet to become a police constable. Further information is available from the College of Policing website and we would encourage you to review this information before submitting your application for a Professional Policing degree.