Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
A diverse yet closely related set of subject areas driven by passionate inquiry into what makes us humanView content
We are driven by passionate inquiry into what makes us human.
Research-led teaching and outstanding support is offered across undergraduate and postgraduate study in: Anthropology; Archaeology; History; Liberal Arts; Philosophy, Psychology; Social Sciences including Politics, Geography, Sociology and Animal Welfare; English and Creative Writing.
We are proud of the range and quality of our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. These programmes are widely recognised as providing students with high-quality learning opportunities. Our innovative programmes enable you to develop in-depth subject expertise and relevant skills for the future that not only meet but exceed employers’ expectations.
Besides being dedicated lecturers, our academics are active researchers who contribute substantially to a high-impact research environment. Our faculty achieved strong results in the Research Excellence Framework, especially around Theology and Religious Studies, History and Psychology.
We are actively engaged in research and knowledge exchange through our research centres, consultancies, public engagement and the many fascinating projects carried out by our researchers.
Image top courtesy of History alumnus Patrick Young.
Meet the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences team
- Dr Gary Jones, Acting Faculty Dean
- Glenn Fosbraey, Associate Dean and Head of Department of English and Creative Writing
- Dr Eric Lacey, Faculty Research Degrees Lead
- Dr Timothy Secret, Head of Department of Philosophy, Religions and Liberal Arts
- Dr Rachel Wilcock, Head of Department of Psychology
- Neil Curtin, Head of School of History and Archaeology
- Natacha Harding, Head of Department of Social Sciences
- Tom Armstrong-Collet, Student Support and Success Advisor
- Lisa Simpkin, Director of Faculty Operations
- Myra Wilkinson, Faculty Digital Content Officer/Research & Engagement Officer