The University of Winchester is an exempt charity. As such, it is required to have charitable purposes and apply them for the public benefit. The University must comply with the general law of charity. Members of the Board of Governors are charitable trustees.
Under the Charities Act 2011, the Office for Students (OfS) acts as the principal regulator for universities that are exempt charities. The OfS has a legal duty to do all that it reasonably can to promote compliance by charity trustees with their legal obligations in exercising control and management of the administration of their charity. Please see the Guidance on higher education providers that are exempt charities for more information.
Legal name and correspondence address
University of Winchester
Hampshire SO22 4NR
Governors of the University
- Alan Lovell
- The Rt Revd The Bishop of Winchester Tim Dakin
- Andrew Robinson
- The Rt Revd The Bishop of Basingstoke David Williams
- Jane Jessop
- Professor Edward Rochead
- Margaret Chin-Wolf
- Bruce Elkins
- Professor Chris Gaskell
- Dr Emma Page
- Mary Edwards
- Andrew Smith
- Rae Tooth
Former Student Governor
Professional Services Staff Governors
Register of Interests
- Timothy John Dakin is Chair of Anglican Missioners of Africa Development and Education Trust and Trustee of the Bishop of Winchester’s Ugandan Church Trust.
- Jane Frances Mark Jessop is the founder of the Blue Apple Theatre.
- Alan Charles Lovell is a trustee of Hampshire Cultural Trust, Mary Rose Trust, Blue Lamp Trust, Winchester Cathedral Trust and Winchester Cathedral Council.
- David Grant Williams is Chair of Trustees for the Ascension Trust (Winchester).
Memorandum and Articles of Association
The legal framework within which the University operates is contained in the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the University Board of Governors
The Board of Governors and its committees meet on a regular basis throughout the year. Governors are responsible for setting the educational character of the University, determining its Mission and Vision, and for the oversight of its activities.
The full audited consolidated financial statements are available for download.