The University of Winchester is an exempt charity. As such, it is required to have charitable purposes and apply them for the public benefit. The University must comply with the general law of charity. Members of the Board of Governors are charitable trustees.
Under the Charities Act 2006, the Higher Education Council for England (HEFCE) acts as the principal regulator for universities that are exempt charities. HEFCE has a duty to promote compliance by charity trustees with their legal obligations in exercising control and management of the administration of their charity.
Legal name and correspondence address
University of Winchester
Hampshire SO22 4NR
Governors of the University
Former Student Governor
Support Staff Governors
Register of Interests
- Mark Byford is a trustee of the RNLI and a member of St Matthew and St Paul’s Winchester PCC.
- Professor Joy Carter is a director of UCAS, UVAC and the QAA.
- David Cook is Chairman of the Bracknell Forest Borough Council Economic and Skills Development Partnership and trustee of ‘more arts’ Wokingham Cultural Partnership.
- Timothy John Dakin is Chair of Anglican Missioners of Africa Development and Education Trust and Trustee of the Bishop of Winchester’s Ugandan Church Trust.
- Winifred Anne Charlotte Harris is a Governor of Hackney Community College, London.
- Jane Frances Mark Jessop is the founder of the Blue Apple Theatre.
- Alan Charles Lovell is a trustee of Hampshire Cultural Trust, Mary Rose Trust, Blue Lamp Trust, Winchester Cathedral Trust and Winchester Cathedral Council.
- David Grant Williams is Chair of Trustees for the Ascension Trust (Winchester).
Memorandum and Articles of Association
The legal framework within which the University operates is contained in the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the University Board of Governors
The Board of Governors and its committees meet on a regular basis throughout the year. Governors are responsible for setting the educational character of the University, determining its Mission and Vision, and for the oversight of its activities.
The full audited consolidated financial statements are available for download.