Julian Stannard is a Reader in English and Creative Writing. He has a PhD from the University of East Anglia and before coming to the University of Winchester, where he teaches English and Creative Writing, he taught English and American Literature at the University of Genoa. He taught English Literature at the University of Suffolk , 1994-2002.
His work has been represented in the Faber Anthology First Pressings (1998) and the Oxford Poets/Carcanet Anthology (2004), and he writes for the Guardian, TLS, PN Review, Poetry London, Poetry Review and Nuova Corrente (Italy). He has read at festivals and literary venues throughout Europe and the United States and he was awarded Crabbe Memorial Prize 1996-9, The Troubadour Prize in 2010 and The Prize for Comedic Writing , Norwich Cafe Poets (2017)
His work has been nominated for the Pushcart Prize for Poetry (USA) and twice for the Forward Prize (UK). You can view the 'Sottoripa' film a collaboration with Guglielmo Trupia based on a poem by Julian Stannard here.
Areas of expertise
Twentieth-century poetry and twenty-first century poetry and Anglo-American-European modernism, including fiction. Julian gives readings of his work and provides writing workshops in the UK, Europe and the United States. His work, including reviews and essays, appears in the national press such as TLS, Guardian , Spectator, Telegraph . Sunday Telegraph and has been broadcast on the BBC and RAI (Italy). He speaks Italian fluently.
He has written on many writers, including Christopher Reid, Fleur Adcock, Simon Armitage, Paul Muldoon, Les Murray, Michael Longley, Esther Morgan, Mark Yakich, the film maker Michael Winterbottom, Deborah Levy, Michael Hofmann, Maurice Riordan, Philip Gross, Anne Stevenson, Katy Evans-Bush, Charles Tomlinson, Donald Davie, Basil Bunting, Hugo Williams, Mark Ford, Andrew Elliot,
Significant interviews include a Thumbscrew interview with Fleur Adcock and a Poetry Reviewinterview with Charles Tomlinson.
Books (monographs, critical works)
- Fleur Adcock in Context: From Movement to Martians (Edwin Mellen, 1997)
- The Poetic Achievements of Donald Davie and Charles Tomlinson: Expanding Vision, Voice and Rhythm in Late Twentieth-Century
- English Poetry (Edwin Mellen, USA, 2010)
- Basil Bunting (Liverpool University Press. 2014)
- The Palm Beach Effect: Reflections on Michael Hofmann (CB Editions, 2013)
Volumes of poetry
- Rina’s War (Peterloo Poets, 2001)
- The Red Zone (Peterloo Poets, 2007)
- The Parrots of Villa Gruber Discover Lapis Lazuli (Salmon Poetry, Ireland, 2011)
- The Street of Perfect Love (Worple Press 2014)
- What were you thinking? (CB Editions, London, 2016)
- Sottoripa:Genoese Poems (Canneto Editore, Italy, 2018)
- Average is the New Fantastico (Green Bottle Press, London, 2019)
- Heat Wave (Salt, 2020)
His writing. poetry and literary journalism, has appeared in numerous journals, newspapers, including:
- The Times Literary Supplement
- The Guardian
- The Sunday Telegraph
- The Telegraph
- The Spectator
- Poetry Review
- Poetry London
- PN Review
- Poetry Wales
- Nuova Corrente (Italy)
- World Literature Today (USA)
- The Manhattan Review
- Poetry (USA)?
- Axon (Australia)
- Salamander (USA)
- The Honest Ulsterman