I am Professor of Roman Archaeology. My BA was gained at the Institute of Archaeology, London, in 1975, specialising in Roman archaeology, and after a year working in the Air Photo Unit of the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, I went on to PhD research in Roman samian ware, also at the Institute. This was completed in 1985. Meanwhile, I started lecturing at Winchester in a part-time capacity in 1980, and at the same time teaching for the University of London. In 1986 I took over responsibility for the Archaeology modules within the History degree programme, eventually bringing Archaeology to Single Honours status in the early 1990s. At the same time, Archaeology became a separate subject group in the College (as it was then), and I became its Head, a responsibility I continued to hold until 2006, when I became Associate Dean in the Faculty. Following this I was Director of Research and Knowledge Exchange until August 2013. I was appointed Professor in 1997 and Emeritus Professor in 2020.
Areas of expertise
- Romano-British religion
- The archaeology of Roman Britain
- Villa economies
- Italy in the 1st millennium BC to the 1st millennium AD
- Vertebrate zooarchaeology
Indicators of esteem
- 1976 Department of Education and Science, major state research studentship
- 1976 University of London, postgraduate studentship
- 1985 Elected Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries
- 1989 External Examiner for PhD, Open University
- 1995-2002 Trustee of the Roman Research Trust
- 1998 External Examiner for PhD, Durham University
- 1998-2001 External Examiner, UG courses in classical archaeology, Institute of Archaeology, University College, London
- 1998-2001 Overseas Research Students Award Scheme (ORSAS), Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals, Member of Panel A (Humanities)
- 2000-2001 Visiting Fellow, Institute of Classical Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London
Books and monographs: authored and/or edited
- King, A. C. & Henig, M. (eds) 1981 The Roman West in the Third Century (BAR Int 109), Oxford: British Archaeological Reports.
- King, A. C. 1982 The Archaeology of the Roman Empire, London: Hamlyn, New York: Crescent (reprinted 1988, London: Magna Books).
- Blagg, T. F. C. & King, A. C. (ed.) 1984 Military and Civilian in Roman Britain (BAR 136), Oxford: British Archaeological Reports.
- King, A. C. 1985 The Decline of Samian Ware Manufacture in the North West provinces of the Roman Empire, Univ. London PhD Diss.
- King, A. C. 1986 Archeologia dell'Impero Romano, Rome: La Scuola. (Italian translation of Archaeology of the Roman Empire, 1982.)
- Henig, M. & King, A. C. (ed.) 1986 Pagan Gods and Shrines of the Roman Empire, Oxford: Oxford University Committee for Archaeology.
- King, A. C. 1990 Roman Gaul and Germany, London: British Museum Publications, Berkeley, Cal.: California University Press.
- King, A. C. 1994 British and Irish Archaeology: a bibliographical guide (History and Related Disciplines Select Bibliographies Series), Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Potter, T. W. & King, A. C. 1997 Excavations at the Mola di Monte Gelato. A Roman and Medieval Settlement in South Etruria, London: British School at Rome Archaeological Monograph 11.
- Haussler, R. & King, A. C. (ed.) 2007 Continuity and Innovation in Religion in the Roman West, Portsmouth, RI: JRA Supplementary Series, 2 vols.
- King, A. C. 2013 Coins and Samian Ware British Archaeological Reports International Series No 2573 (Archaeopress)
- King, A.C. and Soffe, G. 2013 A Sacred Island; Iron Age, Roman and Saxon Temples and Ritual on Hayling Island. Hayling Island Excavation Project Publication
Chapters and contributions to edited works and excavation reports (excluding short contributions)
- Downey, R., King, A. C. & Soffe, G., 1980 The Hayling Island temple and religious connections across the Channel, in W. Rodwell (ed.), Temples, Churches and Religion: Recent Research in Roman Britain (BAR 77), Oxford: British Archaeological Reports, 289-304.
- Horne, P. & King, A. C. 1980 Romano-Celtic temples in continental Europe: a gazetteer of those with known plans, in W. Rodwell (ed.), Temples, Churches and Religion: Recent Research in Roman Britain (BAR 77), Oxford: British Archaeological Reports, 369-555.
- King, A. C. 1980 Mammal bones from the Upper Thames Street section, in C. Hill, M. Millett and T. Blagg, The Roman Riverside Wall and Monumental Arch in London, London: London and Middlesex Archaeological Society, 83-7.
- King, A. C. 1981 The decline of samian ware manufacture in the North West provinces: problems of chronology and interpretation, in A. King and M. Henig (ed.), The Roman West in the Third Century (BAR Int 109), Oxford: British Archaeological Reports, 55-78.
- King, A. C. 1982 The animal bones, in P. Bennett, S. Frere and S. Stow, Excavations at Canterbury Castle (The Archaeology of Canterbury 1), Maidstone: Kent Archaeological Society, 193-205.
- King, A. C. 1983 Pottery, in M. Henig (ed.), A Handbook of Roman Art, Oxford: Phaidon, chap. 8.
- King, A. C. 1984 Animal bones and the dietary identity of military and civilian groups in Roman Britain, Germany and Gaul, in T. Blagg and A. King (ed.), Military and Civilian in Roman Britain (BAR 136), Oxford: British Archaeological Reports, 187-217.
- King, A. C. 1985 I resti animali; i mammiferi, i rettili e gli anfibi, in A. Carandini et al., Settefinestre. Una villa schiavistica nell'Etruria romana, Rome: Panini, vol. 2, 278-300.
- King, A. C. 1986 Animal bones from site DE/DF, in A. McWhirr, Houses in Roman Cirencester, Cirencester: Cirencester Excavation Committee, 142-52.
- King, A. C. 1986 Animal bones, pp. 164-9 in T. Rook, 'The Roman villa site at Dicket Mead, Lockleys, Welwyn', Hertfordshire Archaeology 9, 79-175.
- King, A. C. 1988 Villas and animal bones, in K. Branigan and D. Miles (ed.), The Economies of Romano-British Villas, Sheffield: Dept. Archaeology and Prehistory, University of Sheffield, 51-9.
- King, A. C. 1988 Estudi de les restes faunístiques, in A. Roure i Bonaventura et al., La Villa Romana de Vilauba (Camós), Girona: Centre d'Investigacions Arqueològiques de Girona, 95-6.
- King, A. C. 1988 Animal bones and shells, in T.B. James and A.M. Robinson, Clarendon Palace: the history and archaeology of a Medieval palace and hunting lodge near Salisbury, Wiltshire, London: Society of Antiquaries, 260-5.
- King, A. C. 1990 The emergence of Romano-Celtic religion, in T. Blagg and M. Millett (ed.), The Early Roman Empire in the West, Oxford: Oxbow Books, 220-41.
- King, A. C. 1991 The date of the stone defences of Roman Bitterne, in V. Maxfield and M. Dobson (ed.), Roman Frontier Studies 1989, Exeter: Exeter University Dept of History, 108-10.
- King, A. C. 1991 Animal bones, in E. Fentress (ed.), Fouilles de Sétif 1977-1984 (5th Supplément à la Bulletin d'Archéologie Algérienne), Algiers, 247-58.
- King, A. C. 1991 Food production and consumption - meat, in R.F.J. Jones (ed.), Britain in the Roman period: recent trends, University of Sheffield: J.R. Collis Publications, 15-20.
- King, A. C. & Soffe, G. 1991 Hayling Island, in R.F.J. Jones (ed.), Britain in the Roman period: recent trends, University of Sheffield: J.R. Collis Publications, 111-13.
- King, A. C. & Potter, T. W. 1992 Mola di Monte Gelato in the early Middle Ages: an interim report on the excavations 1986-9, in E. Herring et al. (ed.), Papers of the Fourth Conference of Italian Archaeology, London: Accordia Research Centre, vol. 4, 165-76.
- King, A. C. & Millett, M. 1993 Samian ware, in P.J. Casey and J.L. Davies, Excavations at Segontium (Caernarfon) Roman Fort, 1975-1979, London: Council for British Archaeology Research Report 90, 234-49.
- King, A. C. & Soffe, G. 1994 The Iron Age and Roman temple on Hayling Island, in A. P. Fitzpatrick and E. L. Morris (ed.), The Iron Age in Wessex: recent work, Salisbury: Trust for Wessex Archaeology, 114-16.
- King, A. C. & Soffe, G. 1994 Recherches récentes sur les temples romano-celtiques de Grande-Bretagne. L'exemple de Hayling Island, in C. Goudineau, I Fauduet and G. Coulon (ed.), Les Sanctuaires de Tradition indigène en Gaule romaine; Actes du Colloque d'Argentomagus, Paris: Editions Errance, 33-48.
- King, A. C. 1994 Mammiferi, in P. Arthur (ed.), Il Complesso Archeologico di Carminiello ai Mannesi, Napoli (scavi 1983-1984), Lecce: Universita di Lecce Dipartimento di Beni Culturali (Collana del Dipartimento 7), Congedo Editore, 367-406.
- King, A. C. 1995 Secondary urban centres in Gaul, in A. E. Brown (ed.), Roman Small Towns in Eastern England and Beyond, Oxford: Oxbow Monograph 52, 183-92.
King, A. C. 1996 The south-east façade of Meonstoke aisled building, in P. Johnson and I. Haynes (ed.), Architecture in Roman Britain, York: CBA Research Report 94, 56-69.
- King, A. C. 1997 Animal and human bones from fieldwalking, 1989-1994, in C. Gerrard and M. ston (ed.), The Shapwick Project: an archaeological, historical and topographical study. The Seventh Report, Bristol: University of Bristol, Department of Continuing Education, 121-34.
- King, A. C. 1999 Animals and the Roman army: the evidence of animal bones, in A. Goldsworthy and I. Haynes (ed.), The Roman Army as a Community (JRA Suppl. 34), Portsmouth, RI: Journal of Roman Archaeology, 139-50.
- King, A. C. 2000 The animal bones, in S. Keay, J. Creighton and J. Remesal Rodriguez, Celti (Peñaflor): the archaeology of a Hispano-Roman town in Baetica. Survey and Excavations 1987-1992 (Univ. Southampton Dept. Archaeol. Monog. 2), Oxford: Oxbow Books, 113-21, 237-42.
- King, A. C. 2001 The Romanization of diet in the western Empire: comparative archaeozoological studies, in S. Keay and N. Terrenato (ed.), Italy and the West: comparative issues in Romanization, Oxford, Oxbow Books, 210-23.
- King, A. C. 2001 Los huesos animales, in S. Keay, J. Creighton and J. Remesal Rodriguez, Celti (Peñaflor). La arqueologia de una ciudad hispanorromana en la Baetica: prospecciones y excavaciones 1987-1992, Seville: Junta de Andalucia, Consejo de Cultura, 139-47, 295-305.
- King, A. C. 2001 Vercingetorix, Asterix and the Gauls: Gallic symbols in French politics and culture, in R. Hingley (ed.), Images of Rome. Perceptions of Ancient Rome in Europe and the United States in the Modern Age (J. Roman Archaeol. Suppl. 44), Portsmouth, RI: Journal of Roman Archaeology, 113-25.
- King, A. C. & Soffe, G. 2001 Internal organisation and deposition at the Iron Age temple on Hayling Island, Hampshire, in J. Collis (ed.), Society and Settlement in Iron Age Europe. Actes du XVIIIe Colloque de l'AFEAF, Winchester (April 1994) (Sheffield Archaeol. Monog. 11), Sheffield: J. R. Collis Publications, 111-24.
- King, A. C. 2002 Mammals: evidence from wall paintings, sculpture, mosaics, faunal remains, and ancient literary sources, in W. F. Jashemski and F. G. Meyer (ed), The Natural History of Pompeii, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 401-50.
- King, A. C. 2002 List of publications by T. F. C. Blagg, pp. v-xi in T. F. C. Blagg, Roman Architectural Ornament in Britain (BAR Brit. Ser. 329), Oxford: British Archaeological Reports.
King, A. C. 2004 Rural settlement in southern Britain: a regional survey, in M. Todd (ed), A Companion to Roman Britain, Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 349-70.
- King, A. C. 2004 Infant bones; Mammal bone; Bird bones, in T. Blagg, J. Plouviez and A. Tester, Excavations at a Large Romano-British Settlement at Hacheston, Suffolk, 1973-74 (East Anglian Archaeology 106), Ipswich: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Services, 187-95.
- King, A. C. & Millett, M. 2006 The samian pottery, in M. Millett (ed.), Shiptonthorpe, East Yorkshire: archaeological studies of a Romano-British roadside settlement (Yorkshire Archaeological Report 5), Leeds: Yorkshire Archaeological Society/East Riding Archaeological Society, 141-9.
- King, A. C. 2007 Romano-Celtic temples in Britain: Gallo-Roman influence or indigenous development?, in R. Haeussler & A. C. King (ed.), Continuity and Innovation in Religion in the Roman West: Vol. 1, archaeological and regional studies, Portsmouth, RI: JRA Supplementary Series, 2 vols.
- King, A. C. 2007 Coins and coin-hoards from Romano-Celtic temples in Britain, in R. Haeussler & A. C. King (ed.), Continuity and Innovation in Religion in the Roman West: Vol. 2, numismatic, linguistic and epigraphic studies, Portsmouth, RI: JRA Supplementary Series, 2 vols.
- King, A. C. 2007 Characterising assemblages of votive offerings at Romano-Celtic temples in Britain, in M. Hainzmann (ed.), Auf den Spuren keltischer Götterverehung: Akten des 5. Int. F.E.R.C.An-Workshops, Oktober 2003 in Graz, Vienna: Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- King, A. C. & Soffe, G. 2007 Hayling Island: a Gallo-Roman temple in Britain, and A bibliography of the Iron Age and Roman temple on Hayling Island, in D. Rudling (ed.), Ritual Landscapes of Roman South-East England, King's Lynn: Heritage Marketing & Publications.
- King, A. C. 2007 From villa to village at the Mola di Monte Gelato, Lazio, Italy, in R. and L. Friendship-Taylor (ed.), From Villa to Village - Continuity and Change, King's Lynn: Heritage Marketing & Publications.
- King, A.C. & Soffe, G. 2013 A Sacred Island: Iron Age, Roman and Saxon Temples and Ritual on Hayling Island. A Hayling Island Excavation Project Publication
- King, A.C. 2013 Coins and Samian Ware BAR International Series 2573
- King, A.C. 2015 A new monument type for the New Forest: excavation of a Late Iron Age/Early Roman 'Platform Site' at Leadenhall, Godshill. New Forest History & Archaeology Group Report, 8. pp. 47-60.
Papers in refereed journals
- King, A. C. 1975 A medieval town house in German Street, Winchelsea, Sussex Archaeol. Collect. 113, 124-45.
- Downey, R., King, A. C. & Soffe, G., 1977 Crop-marks and air photographs of the Roman temple, Hayling Island, Hampshire, Aerial Archaeol. 1, 13-15.
- King, A. C. 1978 A comparative survey of bone assemblages from Roman sites in Britain, Bull. Inst. Archaeol. London 15, 207-32.
- King, A. C. 1979 Results of aerial reconnaissance in West Sussex, 1976, Sussex Archaeol. Collect. 117, 257.
- King, A. C. 1980 A graffito from La Graufesenque and "samia vasa", Britannia 11, 139-43, plus corrigendum, Britannia 12, 1981, 311.
- King, A. C. 1983 The Roman church at Silchester reconsidered, Oxford J. Archaeol. 2, 225-37.
- King, A. C. & Soffe, G., 1983 A Romano-Celtic temple at Ratham Mill, Funtington, West Sussex, Britannia 14, 264-6.
- King, A. C. 1984 The decline of Central Gaulish sigillata manufacture in the early third century, Rei Cretariae Romanae Fautorum Acta 23/24, 51-9.
- King, A. C. 1984 Medieval terra sigillata - a source of confusion?, Ulster J. Archaeol. 47, 182-3.
- King, A. C. 1988 A classified author and title index to Proceedings 21-40 (1958-1984) and to other Field Club publications issued during the period, Proc. Hampshire Field Club Archaeol. Soc. 44, 137-51.
- Potter, T. W. & King, A. C. 1988 Scavi a Mola di Monte Gelato presso Mazzano Romano, Etruria Meridionale: primo rapporto preliminare, Archeologia Medievale 15, 253-311.
- Marazzi, F., Potter, T. & King, A. C. 1989 Mola di Monte Gelato (Mazzano Romano - VT): notizie preliminari sulle campagne di scavo 1986-1988 e considerazione sulle origini dell-incastellamento in Etruria meridionale alla luce dei nuovi dati archeologici, Archeologia Medievale 16, 103-19.
- King, A. C. & Potter, T. W. 1990 A new domestic building-façade from Roman Britain, J. Roman Archaeol. 3, 195-204.
- King, A. C. 1991 Discussion of the decorated samian ware, pp. 42-5, and The samian ware, fig. 28 and MF pp. 68-82 in J. Evans et al., 'Excavations at Chester-le-Street, co. Durham, 1978-1979', Durham Archaeol. J. 7, 5-48, MF.
- King, A. C. 1997 A classified author and title index to Proceedings 41-50 (1985-1995) and to other Field Club publications issued during the period, Proc. Hampshire Field Club Archaeol. Soc. 52, 179-92.
- King, A. C. & Soffe, G. 1998 Internal organisation and deposition at the Iron Age temple on Hayling Island, Proc. Hampshire Field Club Archaeol Soc. (Hampshire Studies 1998) 53, 35-47.
- King, A. C. 1999 Diet in the Roman world: a regional inter-site comparison of the mammal bones, J. Roman Archaeol. 12, 168-202.
- Gilkes, O. J., King, A. C. & French, A. 1999 From villa to village: ceramics and Late Antique settlement in the Sabina Tiberina, Archeologia Medievale 26, 269-77.
- King, A. C. 2005 Animal remains from temples in Roman Britain, Britannia 36, 329-70.
- King, A. C. 2005 A mosaic in western Somerset: Yarford, Somerset, excavations 2003-5, Mosaic 32, 19-22.
- King, A. C. 2005 A classified author and title index to Proceedings 51-60 (1996-2005) and to other Field Club publications issued during the period, Proc. Hampshire Field Club Archaeol. Soc. 60, 242-53 (Hampshire Studies 2005).