Sarah Bayless is Senior Lecturer in Psychology and and Deputy Head of Department of Psychology.
She holds a BSc Psychology (Hons) from University College London, an MSc Neuroscience from University College London, and a PhD Psychology from the University of Southampton. She was Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada before taking up the lectureship at the University of Winchester.
Higher Education Teaching Qualification: Higher Education Academy Fellowship (FHEA).
Bayless, S. J., Harvey, A. J. & Keating, S. (2022) Effects of alcohol and task difficulty on visual tracking and inattentional blindness. Psychopharmacology, 239, 2605–2617
Warhurst, A., Bayless, S., Maynard, E. (2022). Teachers’ Perceptions of Supporting Young Carers in Schools: Identifying Support Needs and the Importance of Home–School Relationships. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 19(17), 10755; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph191710755
Aznar, A., Sowden, P., Bayless, S., Ross, K., Warhurst, A., & Pachi, D. (2021). Home-schooling during COVID-19 lockdown: Effects of coping style, home space, and everyday creativity on stress and home-schooling outcomes. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/dzh8m
Lancaster, G.L.J., Bayless, S.J., & Punia, R. (2020) Examining how the presence, absence and numerical value of a grade affects students’ perceptions of assessment feedback. Psychology Teaching Review, 26(2)
- Bayless, S. J., Harvey, A. J., Kneller, W. & Frowd, C. D. (2018). Do intoxicated witnesses produce poor facial composite images? Psychopharmacology, 235, 2991-3003. doi: 10.1007/s00213-018-4989-2
- Harvey AJ Bayless SJ & Hyams G (2017) Alcohol increases inattentional blindness when cognitive resources are not consumed by ongoing task demands. Psychopharmacology.
- Bayless, S..J. & Harvey, A. (2017) Testing Alcohol Myopia Theory: Examining the effects of alcohol intoxication on simultaneous central and peripheral attention. Perception, 46 (1), 90-99.
- Bayless, S. J., Nagata, Y., Mills, T. & Taylor, M. J. (2013). MEG measures of covert orienting and gaze processing in children. Brain Topography.
- Nagata, Y., Bayless, S. J., Mills, T. & Taylor, M. (2012). Spatio-temporal localisation of attentional orienting to gaze and peripheral cues. Brain Research, 1439, 44-53.
- Bayless, S. J., Glover, M., Taylor, M. J. & Itier, R. J. (2011). Is it in the eyes? Dissociating the role of emotion and perceptual features of emotionally expressive faces in modulating orienting to eye-gaze. Visual Cognition 19, 483-510.
- Taylor, M. J., Bayless, S. J., Mills, T. & Pang, E. W. (2011). Recognising upright and inverted faces: MEG source localisation. Brain Research 1381, 167-74.
- Arsalidou, M., Barbeau, E. J., Bayless, S. J., & Taylor, M. J. (2010). Brain responses differ to faces of mothers and fathers. Brain and Cognition 74, 47-51.
- Bayless, S., & Schlottmann, A. (2010). Skill-related uncertainty and expected value in 5- and 7-year olds. Psicologica 31, 677-87.
- Taylor, M. J., Arsalidou, M., Bayless, S. J., Morris, D., Evans, J. W., Barbeau, E. J. (2009) Neural correlates of personally familiar faces: parents, partner and own faces. Human Brain Mapping 30, 2008-20.
- Bayless, S., Pit-ten Cate, I., & Stevenson, J. (2008). Behaviour difficulties and cognitive function in children born very prematurely. International Journal of Behavioral Development 32(3), 111-18.
- Bayless, S., & Stevenson, J. (2007). Executive functions in school-age children born very prematurely. Early Human Development 83, 247-54.
- Bayless, S. J., Gaetz, W. C., Cheyne, D. O., & Taylor, M. J. (2006). Spatiotemporal analysis of feedback processing during a card sorting task using spatially filtered MEG. Neuroscience Letters 410(1), 31-36.
- Bayless, S. J., Harvey, A. J., Kneller, W. & Frowd, C. D. (2015). Investigating the effect of alcohol intoxication on facial composite construction. (Paper presented at the British Psychological Society’s Cognitive Section Annual Conference, Canterbury, UK).
- Bayless, S. J. & Schlottmann, A. (2009) Intuitive probability understanding and Expected Value judgments in 5- to 7-Year-Olds. (Paper presentation at the British Psychological Society’s Developmental Section Annual Conference, Nottingham, UK).
- Bayless, S. J. & Collins, J. A. (2009) Children who couldn’t care more: Exploring the psychosocial impact of young caregiving. (Paper presentation at the British Psychological Society’s Developmental Section Annual Conference, Nottingham, UK).
- Bayless, S. J., Itier, R. J. & Taylor, M. J. (2007) Happiness is not in the eyes: effects of eye-gaze and emotion on visual attention (Poster presentation at the Cognitive Neuroscience Society Annual Meeting, New York, USA).
- Bayless, S. J., Goltz, H.C., Arsalidou, M., Bells, S. & Taylor, M.J. (2006) Spatial and object working memory for face stimuli: an fMRI investigation. (Poster presented at the 12th Annual meeting for Human Brain Mapping, Florence, Italy).
- Bayless, S., Cheyne, D. & Taylor, M.J. (2006) Neuro-imaging Executive Function development using MEG: an adult pilot study of a modified card sorting task. (Poster presented at the Cognitive Neuroscience Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, USA).
- Bayless S. & Stevenson J. (2004) Executive functions and behaviour in school-age children born prematurely. (Presented at the British Psychological Society, Developmental Section, Annual Conference, Leeds, UK).
- Bayless S. & Stevenson J. (2004) Executive function, attention and the role of neonatal oxygen therapy in school-age children born prematurely. (Presented at the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences Conference, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK).
- Bayless S. & Stevenson J. (2004) Premature birth: impact on executive functions during school age. (Poster presented at the International Society for the Study of Behavioral Development, Ghent, Belgium).