Dr Rebekah HowesSenior Lecturer
Department of Philosophy, Religions and Liberal ArtsRebekah.Howes@winchester.ac.uk
We encourage our staff and students to be enterprising in all they do and we maintain close ties with regional employersView content
Rebekah is programme leader for the BA Liberal Arts and the MA Death, Religion and Culture courses at the University of Winchester. She teaches modules on the liberal arts tradition, with particular reference to the question of first principles, Critical Theory, the philosophy of the teacher and the relation of life and death. Her teaching is interdisciplinary in scope, ranging across philosophy, politics and the arts.
Areas of expertise
Rebekah's research interests concern the relation between God, politics, philosophy and education.
- Howes, R. (2023) 'Hegel Contra God: replying to Gavin Hyman’s ‘New Hegel’'Journal for Cultural and Religious Theory, https://jcrt.org/religioustheory/
- Howes, R. (2023) 'Gilroy’s Black Atlantic, Hegelian Aufhebung, and the culture of reparation' Journal of Culture, Theory and Critique. 10.1080/14735784.2023.2169180. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14735784.2023.2169180
- 2022 'Gillian Rose: Fascism and Representation' https://liberalarts.org.uk/gillian-rose-fascism-and-representation/
- 2020 'Camus' The Plague: Contagion, Confinement and Complicity' https://liberalarts.org.uk/camus-the-plague-contagion-confinement-and-complicity/
- Howes, R. 'The philosophical voice of Leonard Cohen' in Spirituality and Desire in Leonard Cohen's Songs and Poems, Newcastle upon Tyne, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2017
- Howes, R. 'Mis(re)cognition of God and man: the educational philosophy and politics of Gillian Rose' in Davis, J. (2018) Misrecognitions: Gillian Rose and the Task of Political Theology Oregon: Wipf and Stock
- Howes, R. 'Liberal Arts a Modern View' in Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory, forthcoming
- Howes, R. (2018) 'In the Shadow of Gillian Rose: Truth as education in the Hegelian philosophy of Rowan Williams' in Political Theology, Vol. 19, pp20-34
- Howes, R. (2018) 'Harmony, Hope and Humanity in the music of Beethoven' given at ACTC 24th annual conference in Boston
- Howes, R. (2017) 'Mind the gap: Hegel, faith and politics in the modern world' given at ACTC 23rd Annual conference in Dallas
- Howes, R. (2016) 'That which produces the general good is always terrible' (Saint-Just): Aporetic Education in Victor Hugo’s Ninety-Three' given at ACTC 23rd Annual conference
- Howes,R. (2014)The bordlerand voice of Leonard Cohen given at the Visions from the Tower of Song conference, University of Winchester November 2014
- Howes, R. (2014) Master/Slave Teacher/Student given at the 20th annual conference of The Association for Core Texts and Courses, LA 2014
- Howes, R. (2013), Music and the System: Shostakovich and 'ketman'. Paper presented at Symposium on the Humanities, Inter-Disciplinary.Net.
- Howes, R. (2012), Uncertainty for an Uncertain World: the educational philosophy of Rowan Williams. Paper presented at Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Waterloo University, Toronto, Canada.
- Howes, R. (2011), Modern Liberal Arts and Rowan Williams: Education in a Post-Secular Society. Paper presented at Canterbury Christ Church University College, Canterbury.
- Howes, R. (2008), The educational philosophy of Rowan Williams. Paper presented at Kaleidoscope conference, University of Cambridge, Cambridge.