University Managed Housing

University Managed Houses are properties off campus that we rent from local landlords and sublet to our full-time students. Properties are usually let to 2nd, 3rd or 4th year students but may also be reserved for first-year students.


University Managed Houses are properties off campus that we rent from local landlords and sub-let to our full-time students. Properties are usually let to second, third or fourth year students but may also be reserved for first-year students.

For September 2024 entry, there will be University Managed Houses available for first-year students. These are let on a 41-week licence agreement and rooms are allocated in the same way as on-campus residences. Students may select University Managed Housing as an option on their housing application.

If you live in a University Managed House, the University is your landlord. The friendly off-campus housing team in Student Housing Services will deal with any issues or concerns including maintenance and general help and advice and you pay your rent directly to the University. All properties are accredited by Winchester City Council and range from 3 to 7 bedrooms in size. All are self-catered and have shared bathroom and kitchen facilities. All are designated non-smoking.

Subject to any local parking restrictions, many properties have either driveway or on-street parking available.

Properties are fully furnished which includes:

You will receive a full inventory when you move in but will need to bring personal items such as bedding, towels and kitchen equipment. Curtains or blinds are provided for each bedroom. TV licence regulations state that if you have signed an individual agreement and you plan to bring a television to use in your bedroom, you will need your own TV Licence.

Map of UMH locations

University Managed Housing Map to download

(locations vary from year to year and this map is given as guidance only.)

Returning Students

Please visit our StudentPad website to search for available accommodation. If you require the password, please contact and include your student ID number to request this.

If you are a student looking for accommodation for your second, third or consequent years of study, please see our Are You Ready To Rent? guide to renting in the private sector. The Housing team are also able to advise should you wish to discuss your options in more detail.

Living off campus

The Residential Management team

Student Housing Services is here to support students living off campus. The team comprises of 9 staff with the Housing Manager (Off Campus) holding the overall responsibility for both the day-to-day operations and the promotion of a positive living environment for residents. There is also a dedicated team of staff for out of hours emergency advice and student staff who provide pastoral care during the day so there is always someone to assist or give advice.

Security and safety

Here at Winchester the safety and security of our students is paramount. Students living in University housing offsite have access to the University 24-hour Site Steward Team, who can assist with security, pastoral care and safety advice. Our police liaison officer can also provide advice to students.

Student Housing Services also provides information to students about getting around the city, both on foot and by public transport, to help students familiarise themselves with their surrounding area. The University also has good links with the local police team and the City Council and works together to combat reported issues in the private sector.

Cleaning and maintenance

Students living off campus are responsible for the cleaning of their accommodation and the off campus Housing team can support residents with what's expected and how to manage this communally. For your laundry, all University managed housing has a washing machine.

The off campus team will manage all maintenance reports from residents, fixing these themselves where possible, employing one of our approved contractors or liaising with the landlord to complete a job. Emergency out of hours contact is also available through the University Site Stewards who may offer advice or call the landlord or emergency contractors to attend.


Whether you live in catered or self-catered accommodation, there is always somewhere on campus to find something to eat. The Foodhall on the King Alfred campus offers a range of options including hot and cold breakfasts, homemade soups, filled baguettes and pizza slices as well as homecooked dishes from our ‘Tastes of the World’ section. You can order your favourite coffee and panini from the Learning Café or pizza from Cyber Italia.

The University is cash-free so students can pay for items or benefit from various discounts by using their student ID card. For students in catered halls, their card is automatically topped up each week as part of their accommodation package. For all other students, the University offers a number of catering packages that students can purchase or they can set up an online account so they, or their family and friends, can add credit whenever they like.

Internet provision

The vast majority of the University managed houses off campus have a wireless broadband connection which has been set up by the property owner. Students living off campus can also make use of the IT facilities on campus.

Other faculties

Students living off campus have a wide variety of facilities available to them not only on campus but within their local areas. Here are some of them: 

  • University libraries
  • University gym and sports facilities
  • Student Union venue 
  • Student Union run shops on both the King Alfred Quarter and the West Downs Quarter
  • All heating, water, electricity and the majority of internet costs are included in the residence fees