Research Excellence Framework 2021
Explore our REF Units of Assessment and their impactful researchView content
The University of Winchester has continued to develop the range and quality of its research, according to the results of the Research Excellence Framework 2021.
Our research rated 4* or world leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour has increased threefold since the last REF in 2014. Most notably, we have evidenced a 147% increase in institutional research power, which is the 17th biggest increase nationally. This places us at 98, compared with 107 in 2014. The overall picture of REF 2021 is positive and offers a strong foundation for our future research impact.
Key points arising from REF 2021:
- The University of Winchester has risen in institutional Research Power rank from 107 in REF 2014 to 98 this year.
- The University has evidenced a 147% increase in Research Power, ranking as the 17th biggest increase nationally. This is thanks to increasing our FTE (full time equivalent) of submitted staff from 72.58 to 163.84, while improving our GPA (grade point average) from 2.32 to 2.53.
- The University has increased its percentage of 4*world leading research, institutionally, from 8% to 12%, while increasing the submission volume by 126%.
- Theology and Religious Studies increased their percentage of 4* research from 6% to 24% - which means almost a quarter of their research is world leading - while maintaining FTE submitted. They rank joint 1st of 31 for 3* and 4* impact (jointly with 11 other institutions), and 6th for overall impact.
- Education produced the second largest increase in Research Power rank in the Education league table, moving from 62nd to 36th, up 26 places. They increased their 4* research contribution by the largest volume institutionally, increasing from 12% to 20% 4*, while more than tripling FTE submitted.
- History’s Research Power rank increased from 61st to 48th
- Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience’s Research Power rank increased from 76th to 60th.
- The University’s new submissions placed well for new entries. Sport and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism rank 48th out of 61 for GPA rank and Business and Management Studies rank 85th out of 108 for GPA rank.
- Business and Management Studies rank joint 1st of 108 for impact, jointly with 30 other institutions.