HR Excellence in Research Award
In June 2016, the University of Winchester was awarded the prestigious European Commission HR Excellence in Research Award. The awards – established by the European Commission in 2005 and managed by Vitae – highlight institutions that go out of their way to assist and support academics and students in their research activities.
This achievement reflects our ongoing commitment to developing our research environment, in line with our values, to enable staff and students to flourish as researchers. In so doing, we continue to raise the quality of our research to benefit individuals and communities locally, regionally and internationally.
Research is at the heart of the University’s mission to educate, to advance knowledge and to serve the common good. As such, the development of our researchers – whether staff or student – is a priority, and the University is constantly developing the support systems, processes and activities that encourage our researchers to flourish in an environment of meaningful, impactful and world-leading research. The University strives to support researchers in many different ways. It provides central support for identifying and bidding for external funding, as well as offering research seminars, workshops and conferences throughout the year.
To gain the award, the University of Winchester reviewed how it measured up to the European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers in terms of freedom of expression, professionalism, ethics, training and recruitment in research. It then submitted an action plan to the assessors at Vitae.
As an award holder, the University must assess its progress against the action plan every two years and will receive an external audit at least every four years. Following the 2-year review in 2018 the University of Winchester retained the Vitae HR Excellence in Research Award.
For more information:
- download the HR Excellence in Research 2016-2018 Action Plan and Two-Year report
- download the HR Excellence in Research 2018-2020 Action Plan
- download the HR Excellence in Research 2020-2024 Action Plan
- download the HR Excellence in Research 2020-2024 Action Plan Update
- download the HR Excellence in Research Four-Year report
- download the HR Excellence in Research Six Year Report
- download the HR Excellence in Research 2022-25 Action Plan
- Contact the Director of Research and Innovation