Support for Ukraine
This page contains current activities and support planned in response to the invasion of Ukraine. As a University of Sanctuary, we are committed to working with others in Winchester to provide a safe and welcoming place of sanctuary for refugees.
Join the Refugee Hosts Support Network
The Refugee Hosts Support Network is hosted by the University of Winchester to help provide:
- A safe space for accessing info, advice and support for hosts;
- Opportunity for sharing best practice & facilitated peer support from other hosts and professionals about supporting refugees; and
- Access to expertise from trauma experts & other professionals about supporting refugees.
To sign up to the Hosts Support Network and make suggestions about topics you would like the network to focus on please send us your details
NEW – Ukrainian Sanctuary Award for September 2022 entry
(Application deadline – Thursday 16 June)
The University of Winchester has established this award to support students from Ukraine who have sought sanctuary in the UK as a result of the Russian invasion, or those Ukrainians who were already in the UK at the time of the invasion and who wish to remain in the country until they can safely return home. Applicants may apply either for an undergraduate or postgraduate taught course, but must have been offered a place on their course before applying for the Ukrainian Sanctuary Award.
The Ukrainian Sanctuary Award provides up to 5 students each year with:
- 100% tuition fee waiver
- £1,000 bursary for each year of study
- English language tests (held in the first week of July) for those applicants who cannot provide documentary evidence of their skills. Please see our standard English language requirements. For those who meet the English language conditions for their course by providing documentary evidence, or for those who pass the tests during the first week of July, a free place on the University’s 6-week pre-sessional academic English programme. In 2022 this will commence on 25 July. The programme helps students whose first language is not English to achieve a level of functional and academic English language skills required to study in the UK and bridge the gap between their own educational and cultural background and the challenges of the British higher education system and culture.
- For the 6-week pre-sessional programme, the entry requirement is normally 0.5 IELTS below that required by the receiving programme. For example, if the receiving undergraduate course requires IELTS Academic at 5.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in all four components (for year 1 entry), then for the 6 week pre-sessional programme the entry requirement would be 5.0 overall and a minimum of 5.0 in all four language components
Eligibility for the Ukrainian Sanctuary Award:
- Applicants must already be living within easy commuting distance of the University of Winchester
- Applicants must hold one of the following UK visas:
- Ukraine Family Scheme
- Homes for Ukraine Scheme
- Ukraine Extension Scheme
- PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must already have received an offer of a place (conditional or unconditional) on a course at the University of Winchester before they can apply for the Award.
To find out more about the award please see the Guidance notes for Ukrainian Sanctuary Award.
To apply for the award please complete the Ukrainian Sanctuary Award Application Form and send to Terri.Sandison@winchester.ac.uk by Midnight on Thursday 21 June 2022.