Dr Alexis GibbsSenior Lecturer
Department of Education and Childhood StudiesAlexis.Gibbs@winchester.ac.uk
We encourage our staff and students to be enterprising in all they do and we maintain close ties with regional employersView content
Alexis is a Reader in Education Studies at the University of Winchester. His primary research interests are in the philosophy and theory of education more generally, and in film education, aesthetic education, and conceptual approaches to educational research in particular.
Areas of expertise
Higher Education pedagogy and practice; film (and) education; aesthetic education; philosophy and theory of education
- Leal, A. (2022) A Voice for Maria Favela: An Adventure in Creative Literacy. (trans. Alexis Gibbs and Diana Sousa). London: Bloomsbury Academic.
Gibbs, A. (2019) Seeing Education on Film: A Conceptual Aesthetics. London: Palgrave MacMillan.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Gibbs, A. (2022) Coming into Life with Education: Definitions, Difficulty and Meaningfulness in Conceptual Aesthetics. Philosophical Inquiry in Education. 28(1):12-25
- (2021) ‘Somewhere without language’: Reflections on a road movie education. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 55: 740 746.
Gibbs, A. (2021) A responsibility to seek the truth: revisiting Averroes’ Decisive Treatise for academic freedom’s missing moral imperative. Philosophy and Theory of Higher Education.
Gibbs, A. and O’Brien, E. (2020) Out of Love for Any Thing? A Response to Vlieghe and Zamojski on Some Pedagogical Problems with an Object-Oriented ‘Educational Love’. Journal of Philosophy of Education.
Gibbs, A. (2018). 'Familiar or strange? Rediscovering the ‘real’ child of educational policy through film'. Policy Futures in Education.
Gibbs, A. (2018) 'Film education otherwise: A response to Bergala’s dialectics of cinema and schooling'. Film Education. 1 (1) 90-100.
Gibbs, A. (2017), 'What Makes My Image of Him into an Image of Him?': Philosophers on Film and the Question of Educational Meaning. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 51: 267280. doi:10.1111/1467-9752.12223
Gibbs, A. (2016). "Academic freedom in international higher education: right or responsibility?" Ethics and Education 11(2): 175-185
Gibbs, A. (2016) ’Not to explain, but to accept’: Wittgenstein and the pedagogic potential of film in Peters, M. and Stickney, J. (eds.) A Companion to Wittgenstein on Education Pedagogical Investigations
Gibbs, A. (2020) Review for Studies in Philosophy and Education of Naomi Hodgson and Stefan Ramaekers, 2019, Philosophical Presentations of Raising Children: The Grammar of Upbringing. Palgrave Macmillan
Gibbs, A. (2016) Review for Journal of Philosophy of Education of Bilgrami, A., & Cole, J. (Eds). (2015). Who's Afraid of Academic Freedom? Columbia University Press, and Williams, J. (2016) Academic Freedom in an Age of Conformity: Confronting the Fear of Knowledge. Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Gibbs, A. (2018) 'No Such Thing as a Private Education'. British Wittgenstein Society Conference 2018. London, UK.
- Gibbs, A. (2018) 'Compulsion and Student Freedom'. Society for Research into Higher Education seminar: The implications of the student engagement agenda for student freedom. London, UK.
- Gibbs, A. (2018) 'What Can the Educationalist Learn from Film?' Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain Annual Conference. Oxford, UK.
- Gibbs, A. (2017) ‘Iranian Cinema’s Re-education in Childhood’. Comparative and International Education Society Conference 2017. Atlanta, USA.
- Gibbs, A. (2016) 'Samira Makhmalbaf: schooling in, on, and with the screen'. Making School in the Age of the Screen. Liverpool Hope, Liverpool.
- Gibbs, A. (2015) Towards a Pedagogy of the Act: Rights, Responsibility and Answerability in Education. European Conference on Educational Research (ECER). Budapest, Hungary
- Gibbs, A. (2015) "What makes my image of him into an image of him?": Philosophers on film and the question of meaning. Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain Conference, PESGB@50 Special Edition: 'Orientations Towards Wittgenstein'. Gregynog, Wales.
- Gibbs, A. (2015) 'Film as Education': The Pedagogical Potential of Cinematic Experience. 2nd International Conference on Critical Pedagogies and Philosophies of Education, Liverpool Hope University.
- Gibbs, A. (2012) Higher education development and academic freedom: unfolding from Lyotard's differend European Conference on Educational Research (ECER). Cadiz, Spain.
- Gibbs, A. (2012) Bildung: crisis or limit in the language of higher education? Cultures, Academic Values and Education (CAVE) Research Centre. Dublin, Ireland.