Laura has worked extensively as a teacher and mathematics consultant in primary schools in Hampshire. At Winchester, as part of her role as a member of the Mathematics team, Laura oversees the Preparing to Teach Arithmetic project. She has recently undertaken research on mastery of mathematics, the role of using specific mathematical language in developing mathematical understanding and on children's solutions to word problems. In 2021 she took on the role as Director of the Institute of Education.
Areas of expertise
- Mathematics education in primary schools
- Rich mathematical tasks
- Effective use of resources to develop conceptual understanding
Clarke, L (2017) Singapore bar models appear to be the answer, but what then was the question? Curtis, F. (Ed.) Proceedings of the British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics 37 (2) June 2017
- Wiltshire Local Authority Mathematics Leaders Conference, June 2012
- BRSLM Conference June 2017
- Clarke, L, Cochrane, R. de Bourcier, G., (2017) 'Putting mastery into practice, the issue of mathematical language, an appraisal from a range of perspectives
- Clarke, L. (2017) Singapore bar models appear to be the answer, but what then was the question?