Policing, Criminology and Forensics
Welcome to the Department of Policing, Criminology and Forensics
Our Department is home to a range of high-quality programmes covering a range of subject areas within:
- Forensic Investigation
- Forensic Science
- Cyber Crime
As a nation we cannot help but become obsessed with true crime podcasts, police drama shows or forensic investigation programmes. It is an area that fascinates the human mind and offers an exhilarating and rewarding area of study.
We offer an exciting and welcoming environment, designed to give students interactive and practical experience to build the knowledge and skills that will allow them to make a real-world difference, whilst being at the forefront of the study of a range of contemporary issues such as identity, investigation, and insecurity.
Our expert teaching team have a wealth of first-hand experience and use this to bring their subjects to life, as well as drawing on the expertise of specialists from across the University such as from Philosophy, Law, Psychology and beyond.
The Department of Policing, Criminology and Forensics hosts state of the art facilities, combined with real-world experiences and examples, developed through strong external relationships to allow students to work a develop collaboratively for positive change in the local, national, and global community. The department also has a dedicated Laboratory Technician. Explore our facilities.
Our Cold Case Unit helps Forensic Investigation students to understand the challenges of cold case investigation and trains the next generation of leading investigators.
At postgraduate level we offer an MSc in Applied Criminology, and we warmly welcome enquiries about postgraduate research. Find out more about doing a postgraduate research degree at Winchester.
Our courses are designed to equip students with all the skills, knowledge, and confidence they will need to pursue successful and fulfilling careers in the future.
Meet the team
Head of Department
- Anna Chaussee, Senior Lecturer in Forensic Studies
- Dr Julio de Carvalho Ponce, Lecturer in Forensic Science
- Prof. Tim Hall, Professor of Interdisciplinary Social Studies
- Natacha Harding, Senior Lecturer in Criminology
- Dr Michelle Jolley, Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader for Criminology Pathways
- Dr Richard Kapend, Senior Lecturer in Criminology
- Dr Daryl Kenny, Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader for Professional Policing
- Dr Liam Leonard, Lecturer in Criminology
- Dr Ester Massa, Senior Lecturer in Criminology and Programme Leader for Applied Criminology
- Brandon May, Lecturer in Criminology (academic profile forthcoming)
- Dr Carolin Esser-Miles, Senior Lecturer in Forensic Linguistics
- Dr Sarah Nixon, Lecturer in Criminology (academic profile forthcoming)
- Darren Rawlings, Lecturer in Professional Policing
- Dr Vladimir Rizov, Senior Lecturer in Criminology
- Selina Robinson, Senior Lecturer in Forensic Investigation and Programme Leader for Forensic Programmes
- Gopala Sasie Rekha, Lecturer in Criminology
- Dr Nancy Scheidt, Lecturer in Policing
- Dr Amoret Whitaker, Senior Lecturer in Forensic Entomology
- Nikki Woods, Lecturer in Criminology