Sport, Exercise and Health
Welcome to the Department of Sport, Exercise and Health
We are one of the leading providers of sport-related higher education in England and have consistently high levels of student satisfaction.
We are a dynamic and contemporary department with a vision that combines excellence in learning and teaching with an active research and consultancy culture.
The department has a sustained track record in delivering an excellent student experience. We pride ourselves on our commitment to your learning experience and are dedicated to providing contemporary programmes of study that are delivered by subject experts.
The department offers an increasing range of undergraduate, postgraduate and professional courses across a number of sports-focussed subjects including sport and exercise science, sports coaching, sports studies, sports business and marketing, and strength, conditioning and fitness. A key aim of the department is to develop graduates who excel when entering employment and engaging with the wider world.
Research and Knowledge Exchange
The department has a strong focus on research and knowledge creation, co-ordinated by the Sport and Exercise Research Centre (SERC). This in turn offers a diverse range of opportunities for student research degrees at both MPhil and PhD level. SERC has research links with a range of professional teams, public bodies, and universities both nationally and internationally.
Sharing our expertise and experience at local, national and international levels is an important aspect our work. The Sport and Exercise Consultancy Unit (SECU) offers a diverse range of services at a number of levels all of which further underpins the applied nature of our programmes.
The department is also the home of the Health-Enhancing Lifestyle Programme (HELP) for Stroke in Hampshire. HELP Hampshire is a community-based exercise and education clinic designed to improve the health and quality of life of stroke survivors.
Get in touch
Whether you are a potential student, researcher or client, please feel free to get in touch with us to discuss what we can offer.
Meet the Sport, Exercise and Health team
Head of Department
Dr Hazel Brown, Senior Lecturer in Sports Coaching Science
- Prof. Eric Anderson, Professor of Sport, Masculinities and Sexualities
- Dr Jo Batey, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Dr John Batten, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Richard Cheetham MBE, Senior Fellow in Sports Coaching and Knowledge Exchange
- Dr Stewart Cotterill, Reader in Reader in Sport & Performance Psychology
- Dr James Faulkner, Reader in Sport and Exercise Physiology and HELP Hampshire Project Lead
- Chris Ford, Lecturer in Strength & Conditioning
- Dr Tim Holder, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Dr Simon Jenkins, Senior Lecturer in Coaching
- Prof. Simon Jobson, Professor of Sport and Exercise Physiology and Dean, Faculty of Health and Wellbeing
- Dr Matthew Smith, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology and Convener, Sport and Exercise Research Centre (SERC)
- Helen Ryan-Stewart, Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Dr Andy Stevens, Senior Lecturer in Sports Business & Marketing
- Dr Jason Tuck, Senior Lecturer in Sports Sociology
- Amy Wright, Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Biomechanics
Research in Sport, Exercise and Health
Research in Sport, Exercise and Health
Research in the Department of Sport, Exercise and Health is coordinated by the department's Sport and Exercise Research Centre. Visit the SERC website to find out more.
The department is also the home of the Health-Enhancing Lifestyle Programme (HELP) for Stroke in Hampshire. HELP Hampshire is a community-based exercise and education clinic designed to improve the health and quality of life of stroke survivors. Visit the HELP Hampshire website to find out more.
We have state-of-the-art research, teaching and knowledge exchange facilities, and are excellently equipped for Biomechanics, Physiology, Strength & Conditioning, and Sport Psychology. Find out more about our facilities.
Postgraduate research supervision
We offer research supervision in a wide range of subjects. To find out more, explore our academic staff profile pages above for individual areas of supervision or use the Find an Expert search bar below.